The 16th edition of the Jeonju International Film Festival (JIFF) has unveiled the finalists for the ‘Korean Competition for Shorts.’
The 20 films have been selected from a staggering 609 entries, with a focus on originality, experimentalism, and controversial themes. The finalists will compete against each other for a selection of prizes, including the Grand Prize, Best Director Award, and Special Jury Award, respectively.
JIFF’s ‘competition for shorts’ program serves as a launching pad for new talent, with films often finding success on the international stage. Director Na Young-kil’s Hosanna, which premiered at JIFF last year, went on to receive the Golden Bear for Short Film at the 2015 Berlin International Film Festival. Premiering at JIFF 2013, director Han Eun-young’s Breathe Me later appeared at the Cannes Film Festival – Critics Week in the same year.
For the full line-up of short films within the competition, as well as select stills that have been released, please see below.
1) The Emotional Society on Stage (Directors Kim Sookhyun, Jo Hyejeong) [2014 / 23min]
2) A Lonely Bird (Director Seojeong Shinwoo) [2015 / 18min]
3) Mind Control (Director Lee Nakyung) [2015 / 16min]
4) The Messenger (Director Son Kyungsoo) [2014 / 13min]
5) Heels over Head (Director Shim Hyejeong) [2015 / 26min]
6) Uninvited Guest (Director Kang Minseok) [2014 / 31min]
7) Super-critical Flow (Directors Shin Booyeon, Yoon Sangjeong) [2015 / 28min]
8) STAY! (Director Shin Jemin) [2015 / 15min]
9) Mirror in Mind (Director Kim Seunghee) [2014 / 2min]
10) Ah Ah Ah (Director Noh Youngmi) [2015 / 15min]
11) The Haze of Summer (Director Park Jiyoon) [2015 / 25min]
12) Summer‘s Tale (Directors Kwak Saemi, Park Yongjae) [2015 / 39min]
13) Open Society and Its Enemies (Director Kwon Hyukjoon) [2014 / 33min]
14) Beneath the Wheel (Director Kwak Eun-mi) [2015 / 21min]
15) This Planet What We Chose (Director Kim Jeongeun) [2014 / 27min]
16) The Fruits of the Earth (Director Kim Hwara) [2015 / 15min]
17) Emergency Leave (Director Kang Jinyeop) [2014 / 15min]
18) The Exploration (Director Park Yongseok) [2014 / 11min]
19) Blossom (Director Han In-mi) [2015 / 27min]
20) A Crevice of Violence (Director Lim Chul) [2015 / 27min]
The 16th Jeonju International Film Festival runs from April 30th to May 9th.